Humanly speaking, the founders of Christ Lutheran Church were Abraham Losser and Pastor F.E. Schumann. In late 1929 or early 1930, Abraham came to one of St. John's Sunday services and gave his home address to Pastor Schumann. Pastor Schumann had some problems locating Abraham's house, but, on the second try, did so an invited Abraham to attend an adult information class. Many of the ensuing four years of classes were taught at the Losser's house in Murray along with another family, the Kellers. After the loss of his job, Abraham commuted to Bountiful to pick fruit for shares, with the help of Pastor Schumann and his Model A Ford. Pastor Schumann also convinced the Missouri Synod to make Abraham a Missionary (the first Lay Missionary in Synod history) with a monthly salary of $60.
The first real building was an old Methodist church in Murray, which Abraham arranged to rent for $5 per Sunday. Beginning in August 1931, Pastor Schuman held services at 3:00pm for an average attendance of 21. In August 1932, Pastor John Feiertag was called to what was then named The Mission Field of Murray, where he became the first resident pastor. He served a growing congregation until April 1935. Abraham served as a lay worker until June 1936 with Pastor Allen Schuldheiss was appointed to the Murray Mission. During this time, services were held in an LDS seminary, and for a number of years, the upstairs of the Murray City Fire Hall.
On December 8, 1941, the congregation was officially organized and adopted the name Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, as submitted by Pastor Schuldheiss. On October 11, 1942, the new congregation moved back to the Methodist church on 171 E 4800 S and purchased it for $3,400. Pastor Schuldheiss also made weekly visits to Tooele and helped lay the foundations for First Lutheran Church of Tooele. In September of 1943, Pastor Norbert Roschke was installed. The new pastor lived in an apartment next door with his new bride. He shepherded the congregation the final years of World War II and served the congregation until July of 1949. Pastor John Henning began his service in October of that year, and he and his family moved into the new parsonage constructed next door in 1950.
In 1953, the congregation purchased three acres of land at 240E and 5600S for $10,500. A small chapel and two school classrooms were built in 1955 for $60,900. With construction still underway, the school opened on September 4, 1955 with 43 students in two classrooms. Mr. Paul Brill, Principal, taught the upper grades, and his wife, Mrs. Gerry Brill, taught the lower grades. Pastor Henning left the congregation in 1956, and Reverand Naatz was called. That year the first six students graduated Christ Lutheran School, and two houses west of the church were purchased. Two years later, the school building was expanded by adding more classrooms using volunteer labor. The new facility was dedicated on October 25, 1959. Pastor Naatz was also involved in the creation of Calvary Lutheran Church in Sandy.
The present sanctuary was built in 1965, and Pastor Paul Schmidt was installed the same year. He served until 1969. The church was without a pastor until 1971, when Pastor Donald Smidt accepted a call, serving until 1978. The ministry's scope was expanded in 1977 with the arrival of Pastor Rodger Ernst, who left for Minnesota in 1979. That same year, Pastor Merlyn Wagner accepted the call to serve Christ Lutheran, and he stayed on as the senior pastor until his retirement in 2009.
During 1984 and 1985, Pastor Bryon Sunderman served the congregation as an associate pastor before accepting a call to Clover, ID. In August 1986, Harold Block moved to Murray to serve as an 8th grade teacher, and in September 1991, he was ordained as an associate pastor for Christ Lutheran. He later accepted a call to Iowa.
In 1992, additional school space was provided by a building effort which joined the existing sanctuary and school together and expanded facilities to provide a new narthex, gym, kitchen, offices, five more classrooms, and a multipurpose room. The project also completely remodeled all previous classrooms.
Pastor Kristian Erickson joined to serve as an assistant pastor in 1997 with a special interest and duties in youth work. After Pastor Wagner's retirement, he was called to Christ Lutheran to serve as the senior pastor, where he served until 2012. Christ Lutheran was supported by a series of interim pastors for the next three years until Tyler Bramwell accepted the call to pastor in 2015, where he served until 2017.
Change came in hard ways in 2017, and sadly brought about the close of Christ Lutheran school due to financial issues. Pastor Bramwell also accepted an outside call that same year, and the congregation is now being served by Interim Pastor Jerome Troster as they work through the call process looking for another faithful shepherd to serve Christ Lutheran Church. The current school buildings are currently being rented to Mount Vernon Academy.